nafex - [NAFEX] What's your opinion on these? (apples)

  • From: "Rodney Eveland" <reveland@collinscom.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] What's your opinion on these? (apples)
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 15:56:32 -0600

Apparently Yanks and Brits have somewhat different tastes in apples.
Bramley has more websites devoted to it than the next 10 or 20 apples
combined (probably all are in Britain). Here is what I feel is a
pretty good description of a Bramley (remember it is used for baking)
But the Bramley is a star: it has an acidic, yet fragrant, apple
flavour and it cooks to a fluffiness not required in French dishes but
very much part of English cooking through the ages - as English as
apple pie. That said, there are recipes that require firmer apples to
keep their shape, and Cox's and Granny Smiths are both excellent for
this purpose.
And if you like apple recipes try this one and see if you can find a
good substitute for Bramley and Cox. (I suspect a cider apple would be
best). Also does anyone know what a dry cider is that they use to soak
the raisins in?

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001041.asp

notice that the Brits used two different varieties of apple in their
"pie". I think they like apple pie even more than we Yanks. I saved
this recipe simply because I like both raisins and apples. However I
don't know what two varieties of apples to use. I suspect I'll use
Granny Smith as one and perhaps Gala as the other as I don't have
access to any of the "flavored apples". Anyone ever taste one of
England's Bramley pies. I love reading mouth watering recipes like
this one. Perhaps Nafex could come up with some fruit recipes that are
as unusual (to American tastes) as these English ones and then sell
the cookbook (fundraiser).

Notice in this url how picky they are about the sugar
http://www.deliaonline.com/ingredients/ingredientsatoz/i_0000000244.asp

Another Brit Recipe
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000000798.asp
Grilled Autumn Fruits with Sabayon Cider Sauce