nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulberries - How Good

  • From: lee reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulberries - How Good
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:01:20 -0400

I've had Illinois Everbearing winterkill more than once here in the colder portion of Zone 5. Typically, it makes overly vigorous growth -- four feet or more in a season -- which then dies back, or the whole tree dies. I'm grafting some this spring onto some wild seedlings and I'll try growing them under leaner conditions to toughen them up for winter.

Lee Reich, PhD
Books by Lee Reich:
Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden
A Northeast Gardener's Year