nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulberries - How Good

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulberries - How Good
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:10:53 -0500

At 10:27 PM 8/21/2005, Ed wrote:
I tasted one in Oregon a few years ago that was very good, but was told that it probably would not survive the PA winters. I have planned to graft some of the many wild ones with "better" varieties. What are the best recommendations for zone 5 ??
Ed,
I suspect most of the M.albaXrubra selections will be plenty hardy for you.  In my orchard, Illinois Everbearing is the 'gold standard' - large fruits, good flavor with a good balance of sweet & tart, and it bears from mid-June through late July.
Stearns and Collier are good, though in my short experience with them(2 years fruiting), they don't bear over such an extended period.
As Jerry indicated, Silk Hope also has gotten good reviews, but I don't have it in my collection(yet).

As is the case with many fruits, performance in one area of the country will be different from that in others - Gordon Nofs sent me one he really liked - he'd purchased it as Pakistan, but it definitely was not - for him, up there in MI, it was better than IE; here it's a good, but not great mulberry.  I'm keeping my tree of it, but I'm fostering other varieties onto branches, but it's not good enough here that I'll be grafting any more of it.

They're easy to graft.  I've done cleft, whip & tongue, and bark grafts, all with good success.  Have occasionally done T-bud placements during summer/fall.

How difficult are they to graft?? I get good resultes with apples, plums etc.

Ed Mashburn
Central PA
Zone 5A