nafex - [NAFEX] Mulberries

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mulberries
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:18:53 -0400

Martha and Ed,
Our sole bearing mulberry to date is Illinois Everbearing, a great
fruit for us, better than local wild ones, but we haven't tried other
cultivars. Ours has handled -14F. Our favorite use now is ice cream
with fresh Jersey milk, dried is OK, but much lost, cobblers are good,
too. Will have to try jam. Barbara Bullard combines mulberries and
juneberries while baking.
A.J. has successfully kept some trees pruned severely to allow most
picking to be done without a ladder.

As for fresh fruit quality, ours have been outstanding over the last
few years; we favor them for fresh eating even when multiple cultivars
of cherries, strawberries and raspberries are ripe at the same time.
Flavor on our mulberries seem to have improved over the last 3 years,
when running chickens under the tree. This fruit calls my wife out of
the house daily to pick her own, and she's a harsh critic of fruit
quality (which I need). We do notice that during the tail end of the
IE season, fruit quality dissipates.

I've traded seedlings, after topworking them without much trouble.
Anyone know how true to type mulberry seedlings are?

Richard Moyer
East Tennessee