nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulberries

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulberries
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:03:43 -0700

I had been thinking of a weeping fruiting mulberry for size, and because my
3-year-old would like it; but I do read that aggressive summer pruning is
as, or more, important as rootstock in keeping trees small. Good to hear
someone has had specific success with Mulberry.

I have seen dwarf (non-mulberry) trees pruned to nice shapes yet much, much
smaller than I've kept similar trees on the same rootstocks. I think I do
need to consider aggressively pruning standard (or less-limiting-rootstock)
trees when a such is the only thing available, or if the larger tree is
clearly a better choice for flavor, yield, and disease resistance.

As far as combining mulberries with other fruits in recipes - yes, works
well. Juneberries sounds interesting! I've combined mulberries and
Juneberries with other fruits, but never the two together.

Try mixing berries in any recipe calling for berries: Black-, Logan-, rasp-,
goose-, currants, mul-, straw-, josta-, olallie-, blue-... I generally
never make the same thing twice, but I'm forced to sometimes due to requests
for four-berry pie. I keep my non-repetition record intact on the
technicality of different proportions of different berries each time. Good
flavory things always happen in the mix.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate