nafex - [NAFEX] See little known, overlooked fruit crops trials in Wisconsin on Aug. 30

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] See little known, overlooked fruit crops trials in Wisconsin on Aug. 30
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:36:29 -0500

Title: Message
Dale and Cindy Secher of Carandale Farms, near Madison, Wis., have asked me to help them invite NAFEX members to their field day on Tues, Aug 30, to tour the site where the Sechers are evaluating unknown, little known and overlooked fruit crops.

Dale says a couple of NAFEX members attended their field day last year, but he regrets he is unable to contact these people because of a glitch in getting attendees' e-mail addresses or other contact information.

Here's the information Dale sent me about next week's field day:

We hope you can join us on Tuesday, Aug., 30 for our third annual field day to tour the 2-acre test site where we are evaluating unknown, little known and overlooked fruit crops.  Please extend this invitation to other individuals in your department, staff and organizations who you think might be interested in attending.

The ultimate objective of this research project is to determine the feasibility of adding new agricultural products that will add diversity to the local food supply, stimulate the local agricultural economy, contribute to food safety, provide sustainable alternatives and introduce new products with unique flavor and high nutricuetical content.

The purpose of this filed day is to showcase the failures and successes of the 34 fruit types and 99 cultivars being evaluated.  It is also an opportunity to thank the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture for its generous financial support through the Agricultural Development and Diversification (ADD) Grant program, as well as the many individuals, organizations and institutions that have contributed their time and talents.

This is an ongoing project to determine horticultural, product development and marketing potential.  Fruiting characteristics and potential for product development will be the primary theme of this field day.

Field Day schedule:

12:00 noon:  Meet at site of field trials for liquid refreshments and treats from the farm and test site (full lunch not provided)

12:30 p.m.:  Greetings, introductions, acknowledgments

1:00 p.m.:  Walking tour of test site

3:00 p.m.:   Wrap-up session (observations, questions, answers, comments)

Directions to Carandale Farms: From Madison, exit the beltline onto South Fish Hatchery Road, and continue approximately 8.5 miles until Fish Hatchery T intersects with Lincoln Road.  Turn right on Lincoln Road, go .5 (1/2) mile —turn left on Tipperary Road.  Go about .25 (1/4) mile to the Carandale sign and turn left onto the entrance road.  We will be meeting at the test site, which will be immediately on your right as you pass the pine windbreak.

We would appreciate it if you could RSVP by Friday, Aug., 26, so we can plan treats and refreshments accordingly.  Please do not hesitate to come even if you cannot RSVP.  All members of the public are welcome.

Dale/Cindy Secher, Carandale Farm (608/835-5871)

Web site with more information about the trials: http://www.carandale.dom/farmtrials.html