nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What's your opinion on these?

  • From: derry and bill <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What's your opinion on these?
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:08:06 -0700

Bruce,

I can only speak about how they taste and grow in the PNW (south coastal B.C.)

: Queen Cox a redder sport of Cox's Orange Pippin - tastes good, sweet, but
quite
susceptible to anthracnose canker.

: Bramley - excellent cooking apple if you like mushy pies. The Brits think
it is
the #1 cooker of all. Almost scab-free, big, green, goes biennial.

: Fiesta - excellent apple, sweet-tart, a Cox's Orange cross, looks great, but
very susceptible to anthracnose canker. I have 100 varieties of apple trees
and
Fiesta is my #2 for flavour. Rubinette ranks #1 because it is sweeter.

: Greensleeves - I don't grow it.

: Honeycrisp - very nice apple, but not a gourmet apple. Susceptible to
honeycore,
goes biennial.

: MacFree - don't grow it.