nafex - Re: [NAFEX] preserving mulberries

  • From: "" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] preserving mulberries
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:48:36 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Geoffrey Tolle [mailto:Gtolle0709@wowway.com]
I understand that the best way to collect them is a big sheet and a
> good tree shaking every couple of days. Certainly hand picking is slow
> and covers only a small portion of the tree.

Exactly what I did this year. My 11-yr old daughter & I spread tarps beneath
the two Illinois Everbearing trees; I shook out all I could, and put her up
in the tree to climb up and shake some limbs that I couldn't get moving very
well. Then, we just picked up the fruits from the tarps, put 'em in our
pails, and went to the house with 'em.

Seems like I remember Doc L. telling me he had a Pakistani colleague who said
they always saw an epidemic of broken limbs - on the people, not the trees -
during mulberry season, from folks falling out of the trees while picking
&/or shaking.

Lucky