nafex - [NAFEX] Tom Vorbeck

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Tom Vorbeck
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 20:57:01 -0500

It's with heavy heart that I share this news. Tom Vorbeck died this evening.

He had been in Memorial Hospital in Springfield, IL for several weeks. He developed a staph infection that destroyed two of his heart valves. He had been on antibiotic IVs for weeks, so the infection could be purged from his body in preparation for heart surgery. Today surgeons inserted two artificial heart valves to replace the faulty ones. According to Jill, he made it through the lengthy surgery, but they couldn't stabilize him afterwards.

Jill isn't answering the home phone tonight. I'm sure she needs time with loved ones and time to reflect.

Personally, I always thought of Tom as a Renaissance man, a gentle soul and a fountain of apple knowledge.
Doreen Howard