nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tom Vorbeck

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tom Vorbeck
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 08:42:06 -0500

> It's with heavy heart that I share this news. Tom Vorbeck died this
> evening._______________________________________________

Tom and Jill's Vorbecks "Applesource" was another contribution to fruit
culture, because purchasing the Sampler or Explorer packs allowed us to
actually taste the apples, a revealing experience. One I received contained
"Downing Tart" which I immediately liked, and Tom provided me the next year
with a scion, which grows now. Tom also sent me a letter or two reporting on
new varieties of apple that were more towards the tart side, while explaining
that only about 20% like tart like I do. Those letters are some of the most
interesting in my file upstairs, and Tom's Applesource is a model for us all
to follow as we all should be tasting much more different fruit.

Tom's Applesource led to many a variety being planted and also to many NOT
being planted, a huge savings of many grower's time and resources. How can a
guy contribute more? I never even heard of Johnny Appleseed putting taste
testers in a box and sending them.

Charlie Paradise, Massachusetts