nafex - [NAFEX] Morus rubra, Red Mulberry

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Morus rubra, Red Mulberry
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 01:32:00 -0400 (EDT)

Joe, I suggest that you go to the website of the
North American Native Plant Society
http://www.nanps.org

and check out the lists of associations and plant sources.

Your state association can probably tell a lot more about sources. Their
members might be able to tell you something about the merits of the
different sources.

My local expert in the Niagara Peninsula tells be that Morus rubra and
Moras alba hybridize with extreme readiness and that *many* trees of Morus
rubra are pollinated to a greater or lesser extent by Morus alba. So
in his small nursery he sells plants clonally propagated from an old Morus
rubra that he is pretty sure of, at CDN$70 each, last I heard.

You might be able to get seedlings that had a pretty high probability of
being pure Morus rubra, but you would probably have to be very careful.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada