nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bitter juneberries

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bitter juneberries
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:01:35 -0700

A few of observations I have made this summer.

1. I dried some of my bitter juneberries. The bitterness in the
"raisins" was reduced. Maybe the concentrated sugars caused this
effect.
2. Big juneberries from Lucky Pittman's selection of Timm and Success
seedlings did not have the bitterness. These berries are very tasty.
Thanks Lucky!
3. Native juneberries I found fruit exploring at 4000 - 6000 foot
elevation in the North Cascades near Lake Chelan, Washington were not
bitter. Bears in the vicinity were busy chowing down on juneberries,
blueberries and currants. Unlike cats, bears have a sweet tooth!

-Mark Lee, Seattle zone 8a