nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bitter juneberries

  • From: "Mike Levine" <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bitter juneberries
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:33:32 -0400

I noticed that the serviceberries here in Ann Arbor were much more bitter this year than the previous few years. I tend to like my serviceberries a little on the underripe side (I like sour fruit) so I pick them when they are still reddish instead of waiting until they are really dark purple. I noticed this year that the more purple they got the more bitter (and sweet) they became. I suspect most of the bitterness comes from the seeds and perhaps when the seeds are immature they have less of the bitter component. If you put the fruit through a squeezo and get out all the seeds I'll bet you won't have any bitter flavor even if they are purple.

Mike Levine
Ann Arbor, MI
zone 5b

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>