nafex - Re: [NAFEX] permit to sell seeds

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] permit to sell seeds
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 18:49:15 -0500

The Federal seed act and most state standards are really vague and
non-descript,
particularly when addressing diseases and seed quality. Yes there is language
making sure you have to sell true to type seed and advertise its attributes
within
the margins of reality/imagination. But, basically it is up to the integrity
of the
seed companies to determine what level of quality etc they choose to offer.
Over
the last year, I worked with various seed regs in-depth, and most high
"standards"
are only relevant when refering to certified and registered seed, which most
garden
seeds are not. Most states have very stringent standards for certified and
registered seeds, but the garden trade is pretty much unregulated. The
Federal Seed
Act is, in lieu of my work over the last year, somewhat laughable, as is the
very
underfunded and out-of-touch facilities that that supposedly come up with
seed
regs. Really folks, the big companies do not want specific regs more quality,
seed
size, disease, and some of the finer points. And ASTA pretty much makes the
regs.
This is not badmouthing, it is a sad truth. The seed pathologists I have
talked to
have been almost the only voices of wisdom in the "system".
Another good point about the "seeds intended to be planted in Minn..". Many
customers buy seeds from a company from their second home, office, for their
grandmother in another state, what have you. How in hell is a seed company
responsible or even able to ascertain where the customer is going to plant
their
seeds. For example, a fellow buys plants from his home in the southwest to
plant at
his summer home in the midwest. Does a company use the billing address or the
shipping address? Do we make ever customer sign a letter of intentionas to
where
they wish to plant their seeds? What about seeds folks buy but don't plant?
The
holes in this sort of regulation are many and obvious.
Peace,
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine

On Fri Jul 8 20:07 , 'tanis cuff' <tanistanis@hotmail.com> sent:

>Mostly great posting, H.B. Thanks.
>
>Except the part about seeds not held to much regulation. Anyone interested
>in selling seeds of any kind, in any worthwhile amount, you definitely want
>to read the Federal Seed Act and your state seed law. Might save you the
>cost of some fines. (And you might aslo be encouraged that gee the seed
>industry DOES have to toe-the-line!)

change other email options):