nafex - [NAFEX] Purslane germination

  • From: "kieran or donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Purslane germination
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 20:05:25 -0500

Well, we definitely can supply the heat. But the stuff never goes wild, and
it never reappears the second year. But I'll bet it likes sandy soil, as it
does so well in Florida. We eat nettles too, and amaranth. Both grow MUCH
better here than purslane. Steve, if purslane is going to be such a problem
for you, make it pay it's way by feeding you. I am definitely in the "whats
in it for me" school of gardening. If a plant has something to offer me, I
like it much better and treat it nicer. Chickweed, pigweed, lambsquarters,
curly dock, dandelions, all get eaten at certain times of the year, and I'm
much more tolerant of them than something like three seeded mercury, which I
have never found a use for. And there is this great polygonum, smartweed,
that the Jap beetles prefer to anything else, my very handiest trap crop for
them. I always leave a couple of nice patches, and leave some here and
there while weeding out other plants and that smaller polygonum they won't
eat. Donna