nafex - [NAFEX] curculio

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] curculio
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:12:50 -0700

Researching a little further, I find a study that found that Surround WP
combined with sulfur and lime sulfur controlled plum curculio better than
Surround alone. No, I don't know why the sulfur would help. Maybe it's
irritating to the bugs, maybe there are less fungal diseases, therefore less
fruit fall, therefore less immediate habitat - but I'm sticking to my "I
don't know."

Rodale suggests a spray of Pyrethrum at pink and/or petal fall in an effort
to further control PC, followed by Surround from petal fall through June.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate