nafex - Re: [NAFEX] After 2,000 Years, a Seed From Ancient Judea Sprouts

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] After 2,000 Years, a Seed From Ancient Judea Sprouts
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:39:10 -0700

There IS scientific literature out there on how to use GA, but you would likely have to go to a university library, or at least pay one of the online services, as the information about GA and how much to use isn't all that common. Though, FWIW, I've used the commonly sold form used to help get tomatoes to set and it worked fine full strength.
One other thing most people overlook when starting seeds is that some species have double dormancy and either need two stratifications, or a combination of warm and cold stratification. Holly, for instance, won't germinate until it has had a period of warm moist stratification, then a cold one, then another warm one, then another cold one. THEN it germinates.
So it doesn't hurt to do some research on the germination requirements of the species in question.
-Lon Rombough