nafex - Re: [NAFEX] After 2,000 Years, a Seed From Ancient Judea Sprouts

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] After 2,000 Years, a Seed From Ancient Judea Sprouts
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:06:03 -0400

Be warned that gibberellic acid does not come always with easy-to-read
consumer instructions. I wasted $40 on a bottle of it 15years ago that even
after a call to the manufacturer left me confused. Do not assume that just
because you place an order for gibberellic that you will immediately easily
put it to use.

John Harrington of Texas wrote in Pomona a superb article on seed
germination. Before resorting to laboratory techniques to achieve
germination, run a checklist of seed germination basics like:
1] how many different sources for each species have I tried?
2] Did I keep the seeds moist/not let them dry out?
3] Did I try both autumn and spring sowing?
The answer for 1] should be multiple sources, like 5; 2] most fruit + nut
species get better germination kept moist and never drying 3] both autumn and
spring sowing have their advantages. Sometimes one works, sometimes the
others.

Remember, simple is better. Work on the basics and save lots of different
seeds before plunging into special techniques. Cover your bases. Also
remember, though some beginner's luck occurs, seed germination is another
horticultural propagation technique that gets better with practice - and its
a technique much under-discussed in NAFEX.
Charlie Paradise, Massachusetts