nafex - [NAFEX] On bagging

  • From: fuwa fuwa usagi <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] On bagging
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:49:32 -0700 (PDT)

 Like many home growers i have been playing around with the bagging strategy.  Basically I find I need to "nuke" the tree once for PC in order to get the apples large enough to bag and then life is good.

This year is the 1st year I have tried the plastic ziplock idea.   I am rather skeptical as I suspect the tree rats will delight in picking the apples off as they turn red.

In the past I used brown bags which while effective I found to be a potential lay thing for the little critters.  the also would get soaked in teh rain and act sort of like kites, and many came off the tree in high wind storms.

In truth the most successful thing I have done was use a half piece of newspaper and masking tape.  Literally I would wrap the apple, leave what I considered enough growing room.   Unlike brown lunch bags I never had any of these come off and the tree rats left them alone.  I simply folded the paper back a few days before harvest and allowed them to color up, the folded paper above the apple acted as a squirrel barrier.  Apparently tree rats like to see where they are stepping.

the fluffy bunny

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====