nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Clay and Phosmet vs. Curculio

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: <breen@fedcoseeds.com>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Clay and Phosmet vs. Curculio
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:26:48 -0700

Heron,

You have some good ideas here. Are you testing them? I do like IPM.
Growers using IPM and chemical pesticides substantially reduce their
chemical use - and costs. Much IPM produce tests out as chemically clean as
organic. And one can, of course, use monitoring with organic methods for
organic integrated pest management.

There are plum curculio lures which can be used in pyramid traps. You can
spray at the first sign of the pc. Of course, keep dropped apples cleaned
up. Spraying grub control nematodes under the trees (at the same time as
apples drop) shows some promise in reducing the next year's population.

Or just move west of the Rockies...

Since I am west of the Rockies and have no experience with these vile
creatures, I wonder if trapping provides any control at all for one to a
few trees? I know it doesn't for orchards, not in any affordable
concentration of traps. I remember when pheromone traps first came out for
codling moth we expected them to be used for IPM only, but found that one
lure per tree permeated the air with so much pheromone that the moths were
unable to successfully mate, and provided control for small numbers of
trees. Even some larger orchards use that method, but others find the traps
and labor not to be cost-effective, so they trap and spray.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate