nafex - RE: [NAFEX] neem oil

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] neem oil
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 16:35:35 -0700

The method of action of citrus oils is similar to that of insecticidal soaps – they flood through the bodies of the insects and disrupt their biologic processes.  Citrus oils contain strong solvents that have the property of being able to permeate the skin of hard-shelled insects such as ants.  They then dissolve the wax surfactant in the bugs’ lungs, so they suffocate.

Neem has many bioactive compounds.  They do not work the same as those in citrus, and the plant is unrelated.  The insecticidal compounds in neem are terpenoid compounds, which interfere with molting, thus preventing juvenile insects from reaching adulthood and reproducing.  Other compounds in neem are antiviral, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial.

Neem has a deserved reputation for synergy.  Frequently a combination of Neem and another organic pesticide will work better than either alone.

Yes, neem does have bug repellant properties.  Bugs have necessarily evolved an ability to sense the presence of things containing chemicals that would kill them.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate