nafex - Re: [NAFEX] beginner's apple grafting report

  • From: tin man <magneticanomaly@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] beginner's apple grafting report
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 16:22:31 -0700 (PDT)

From John Leyzorek @ 3000' in easternWV,  I use nothing but the wrap, on whip-type grafts.  I like cool cloudy weather for grafting, of which we get a lot in March and April, but a few grafts made this year in bright sun and wind seem to have done as well as the rest.

I do use grafting wax on cleft grafts, since the diameter difference is too much for the wrap's stretch to cover,m and I have the two scions to seal.

By the way, I have always heard that you should graft "in the light of the Moon" (which I assume means when she is waxing).  This year weather and time combined to make the waning moon the time when I did most of my grafting.  I was a little disappointed to notice no apparently significant difference in outcomes.  I'll report the final tally in a few days; I haven't checked lately.

Question: does anyone know what I am using for pear rootstock? It is a "wild" tree, bears egg-sized hard green pears which mostly don't seem to ripen, and has often has stout leafy thorns.

John.

Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com> wrote:
Do you also use grafting compound over the saran wrap? Or just the
wrap? What about sun on the graft, I thought that was bad - do you
shade the grafts?

> To seal and support the new grafts I use what I think is commercial
> Saran wrap. The reason I say, "I think" is that my supply came from
> the trash of a school kitchen, a roll on a 3" core.
> Once only (this year) apparently a bird unwrapped a graft so wrapped,
> and it dried out and died.
>
> This wrapping is strong enough to support, soft and stretchy enough
> to allow growth. Sun degrades it in a year and it falls off.

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall