nafex - [NAFEX] things that eat earthworms

  • From: "kieran or donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] things that eat earthworms
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 06:49:56 -0500

I seem to recall reading of a black
worm that lives in the ground that devours earth worms. I also seem to
recall
it is larger than what you described. It may not be native to US.

This is probably the critter that accidentally got imported to England I
think, so I would have heard about it way back 20 years ago when it had
people scared, and then I think it showed up in the US. Oh, here it is:
http://www.scri.sari.ac.uk/SCRI/web/site/home/ResearchAreas/MGOE/PSI/soilecology/Flatworms.asp

and here is more info: http://www.dardni.gov.uk/pa2002/pa020079.htm
and the possibility that native beetles will control them:
http://www.innovations-report.com/html/reports/agricultural_sciences/report-12677.html

And I came across a passing reference to some from Indochina that have
appeared in the southern US, here is all I could find on that one, look on
down the page for the photo:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/about21679-40.html
Donna

  • [NAFEX] things that eat earthworms, kieran or donna, 05/14/2005