nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Prunus americana availability.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Prunus americana availability.
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 11:08:00 EDT

In a message dated 5/20/2005 7:19:13 AM US Eastern Standard Time, machelp@attglobal.net writes:

Jerry, can you comment on your P. Americanas as grown in your area?
Charlie Paradise, Massachusett

Hi Charlie,

It is just run of the mill P. americana. Does fruit, small, red, sweet, more like bushes than trees, spreads well with underground runners. Have grafted twice onto. Only one exists at presently, a peach plum hybrid. As someone else reported, no fruit, but I feel strongly due top lack of proper pollinator, nothing to do with the understock.

I would expect a vigorous species grafted to it would overgrow the understock.

Jerry