nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Prunus americana availability.

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Prunus americana availability.
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 11:10:30 -0500

At 07:23 AM 5/20/2005, Charlie wrote:
Jerry, can you comment on your P. Americanas as grown in your area?

Charlie,
5 or 6 years ago, I bought 10 or 20 row-run P.americana seedlings from Gurney's or Henry Fields - don't recall which, any more - as well as some Nanking cherry seedlings - both of these mainly for use as rootstocks for plums & peaches. Most are still lined out in a nursery row, and some of the P.americana seedlings fruited for the first time last year.
No suckering - yet; but I do have some native Chickasaw plum, P.angustifolia, that I moved from the cow pasture and plunked down in an empty spot in the orchard, and these suckers really do sucker. Before I knew any better, I put a plum selection I got from Lon(I've since lost the ID, so I don't know if it's Burbank Seedless or the other selection he sent at the time) on P.angustifolia, and it took nicely, but the rootstock is suckering like crazy.
Paul Zmoda sent me some 'Guthrie' P.angustifolia scionwood last year, and it grafts well onto both P.americana and P.angustifolia. Think I've also got a piece of Guthrie growing on a sucker from whatever rootstock the huge non-fruiting Green Gage came on when I planted it 10 years ago.
I keep thinking about comments I've seen through the years about Green Gage being 'worth the wait', but I'm beginning to wonder if it really is. 10 years, a trunk as big as my thigh, and it's had one single branch that bloomed lightly the last 2-3 years, but no fruit.

Louis L. "Lucky" Pittman, Jr., DVM
Veterinary Pathologist/ Dept. Chairman
Murray St. Univ.-Breathitt Veterinary Ctr.
Hopkinsville, KY