nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ants as biological control?

  • From: "Bruce Wittchen" <herenorthere@lycos.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ants as biological control?
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:43:29 -0500

Rodney asked,

Anyone have any information about the "good side" of some ants? Can some
species be moved into an area where bad ants are using aphids as "dairy cows"?

According to the book I've almost finished reading (Insights from Insects:
What Bad Bugs can Teach Us; by Gilbert Waldbauer; 2005) black cherries
secrete nectar from young leaves, attracting ants. The ants carry away young
tent caterpillars. Later in the season, when the caterpillars have grown too
large for ants to control, the tree no longer secretes the nectar.

I stumbled across this book at the library and the Grape Phylloxera and
Codling Moth chapters, in particular, are very NAFEXish. Maybe I should be
spending more time controlling insects instead of reading about them, but
it's good.

Bruce Wittchen
Zone 6, 1/2 mile outside Hartford, CT

once.