nafex - [NAFEX] Ants (and Earwigs) as Biological Control

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ants (and Earwigs) as Biological Control
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 07:33:49 -0500

Diane Whitehead said:
The biological control insect we have is the earwig, but I was not
agreed with by some NAFEXERS who live in a different climate from
mine, and who find them totally bad.

When I lived in California's Central Valley, earwigs were viewed by most
folks as totally bad plant eaters however I have witnessed them eating
insects too. Wherever there were lights near the ground that attracted
flying insects, earwigs would be nearby snagging insects. I have observed
them on walls near porch lights too but they always stayed close to the
ground (and easily unnoticed). From these sightings I would conclude that
they must also be predatory in other instances as well.
As for ants, here in Minnesota where earwigs are rare, I have often
observed black ants carrying insects to their den. Our native Fire Ants
also prey on insects.
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm

  • [NAFEX] Ants (and Earwigs) as Biological Control, Jim Fruth, 05/16/2005