nafex - Re: [NAFEX] poultry in orchards

  • From: Joe Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] poultry in orchards
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:00:46 -0400

road's end farm wrote:

On May 11, 2005, at 11:30 PM, kieran or donna wrote:

A few years ago there was some discussion
of organic orchards here, and someone referred to an observation that most
organic orchards that were doing well were pretty heavily stocked with
poultry.

Recent restrictions about timing of fresh manure applications on certified fields have put some crimp in this; unfortunately, in my opinion, though I agree some reasonable caution is necessary. If you're not trying to get certified, either don't use drops or wash them well first. If you are interested in certification, check with your certifier about what times of year you can allow the birds in.

Hmmm! How do you stop the wilde beasties from pooping on/in your orchard? Surely they do not decertify if a single grasshopper makes a pellet within the confines of the planting.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly