nafex - Re: [NAFEX] April 5 and already an embedded tick

  • From: DocKW@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] April 5 and already an embedded tick
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:33:38 EDT

Here in SW Connecticut we have ticks nearly year round....and with that the
disease problem. If you have been bitten you have about a 50% chance of
coming
down with one of several tick borne diseases in my locale. Lyme, Babesiosis,
Ehrlichiosis, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and ( apparently) cat scratch
fever.
These are all very serious, some having a 10% mortality rate if not
aggressively treated. I have had Ehrlichiosis and it is a BIG problem, but
treated
with Doxycycline can be controlled.
I would say that it was better to treat with Doxycycline rather than
wait...because if it only prevents one onset out of four that person has
saved huge
bucks and time and grief. Our local MD's are of differing opinion and one
has
to go with what they know. Some will treat early and others not. We have
some
tragic results of this policy and stories abound. The problem I see is the
huge number of critters of all types which are out of control. Each year I
expect a big die off from starvation or disease and that has yet to
happen....though we now have open woods that look like it has been weed
whacked up to 6feet
high . The ticks live part of their cycle on mice (which are in the millions
judging by the runs) and part on bigger critters...and we have abundant
vectors for all stages of tick development.
We can't even find a way to reduce one part of the cycle such as
mice....can't be cruel to mice....so the saga continues.
So much for my 2cents worth

Karl W. Olson D.M.D
SW Connecticut Zone 5