nafex - RE: [NAFEX] April 5 and already an embedded tick

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] April 5 and already an embedded tick
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:36:54 -0700 (PDT)

Wasn't this one of the extraction methods which causes the tick to spasm and
potentially force some of its infected gut contents into host's skin? I
wonder
about the pyrethrum method too.

I like to use an insect repellant rated for ticks, from the time the snow
melts down
to the last few shaded snow piles, in early spring, until snow falls in
autumn.
Especially during the months when the nymphal stages of deer-tick are active
(May,
June, & July, last thing I read). These can look like a fleck of dirt in a
wrinkle
of your skin: if you find yourself saying "Damn! I took a shower!" grab a
hand-lens, to see if the fleck of dirt has legs.