nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tips?

  • From: "Bruce Wittchen" <herenorthere@lycos.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tips?
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:09:02 -0500

One of Lon's suggestions for finding obscure fruit varieties is to "get
aerial survey photos and look for signs of ancient, abandoned farms that
might still have old trees surviving on them." Just to show off what we can
do here in Connecticut, here's a link to an online photomosaic of the state's
1934 aerial survey:

http://mapserver.lib.uconn.edu/magic/adimg.37800.0000.1934.s12.Fairchild.1.htm

The tools are at the lower left. You swoop left with the magnifying glass to
enlarge and swoop right to reduce. A lot of what was then active or recently
abandoned agricultural land has since reforested, and I've frequently gone to
the 1934 aerials to figure out why I found an apple tree or a row of pines in
a particular spot. It's amazing to see how much orchard land was already in
decline 70 years ago. This was done as a joint venture of the CT State
Library and University of Connecticut. It would be a larger project for the
larger states and maybe overwhelming for some, but it sure would be
interesting to see something similar for places I've lived previously.

Bruce Wittchen
Zone 6, 1/2 mile outside Hartford, CT
where it's sunny and 50F and will soon be time to dust off the sprayer
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com