nafex - Re: [NAFEX] DDT

  • From: "Dan Durica" <dandurica@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] DDT
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:24:25 -0800

Apparently the World Health Organization (WHO) condones the use of DDT to control malaria over other pesticides, but its use and production in the world is strictly controlled by an international convention (link below).  It is recognized as being persistent and harmful to the environment and the major thing that prevents the use of alternatives are financial, technical, and administrative mechanisms for its phase out.  Poverty and disparity seem to be the issues that need to be addressed to make real change.   I don't know if DDT is used for anything in the world but control of malaria, except for the few people that have mentioned they are still using it from a stash.

I'm not sure why people would see the need to legalize its use here in the US or in any countries where malaria is not a problem. I once worked in mosquito control in a county in OH and we used mineral oil and BT (Bacillis thurengiensis)most of the time, occasionally a legal pesticide and that was sufficient.  Encephalitis is very rare as is West Nile.  I don't think the use of DDT here would be worth the costs to the environment or make a difference in the number of cases of these two diseases.

http://www.emro.who.int/rbm/pdf/PositionPaper.pdf

Dan Durica
Zone 4/5
Madison WI