nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple varieties/rootstocks

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple varieties/rootstocks
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:42:20 -0800 (PST)

Yes, the rootstock is generally expected to be dealing with soil issues. But
some
apples may not ripen their best if on an unfavorable soil-- I found this note
about
a couple cultivars which shouldn't be grown on sand, regardless of rootstock,
because to develop properly they need regular, even moisture. Sand has wide
swings
of soil moisture, and even a highly drought-tolerant rootstock can't even out
these
swings.