nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple varieties

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple varieties
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:28:55 -0800 (PST)

Thanks everyone for the input. It's been very
interesting. I do have a few carefully selected apples

already in place, so these really are for fun - for a
variety of uses and flavors and historic reasons - and

if they don't taste good or do well, hey, the goats
like a snack anytime.

They will be grafted onto semidwarf M7 and mostly two
grafts per rootstock (there I go, sounding like I
think they will actually take...) I also think that
climate has a great effect, and there's not much info
out there on our climate (hot, but dry), so I figure
the only real way to know is plant it and see what
happens.

The soil type reference - to Wolf River on sand - is
curious. I would have thought that the rootstock
had to deal with the soil; can a grafted scion be
affected by the soil? We do have serious clay...

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall