nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tree Moving

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tree Moving
  • Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:07:32 -0500

A nut grower/nurseryman in Washington used to have a back-hoe come in for a day when it was time to deliver his grafted walnut trees.   I don't know how he handled once the back-hoe had them out.   A back-hoe for a day isn't so much money.

I would think cutting back the tops prior to the day would make handling easier, reduce the expectations of the roots, and get pruning done also.
See:  Transplanting an apple with unusual root.
If it were me?  Prune heavy. Back-hoe and operator for the day, use a hose to wash as much soil off the roots as possible, push them into a large rental moving van, drive there, hose the roots down on arrival [keep them wet until planted] and have a BIG barbecue for those who helped re-plant.

moving with a ball and burlap?  The 8 year old trees may not be monetarilly worth that much care.
Charlie Paradise
zone 5 / Massachusetts / apple with unusual root

Del Stubbs wrote:

I have posted before regarding my friend who needs to move his orchard of 50  - 8 year
old apple trees on seedling rootstock.
He has found a couple of local contractors who have commercial 'tree spades' on their
loaders to pop out the trees with a large cone of dirt and roots. The problem is in
moving them 35 miles - normally it seems the spade keeps the tree in its diggers and
drives  to the new site. This would make it prohibitively expensive. He needs a way to
wrap  and load many trees onto a flat bed which can then be driven to the new site, and a
good way to unload them again into their respective holes.
Does any one have experience with this? Any thoughts much appreciated, he will need to
have all this arranged in a month.  Del  N. MN Z3

Del Stubbs  http://www.pinewoodforge.com   zone 3   N. MN