nafex - [NAFEX] Tree Moving

  • From: Del Stubbs <northernlights2n@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Tree Moving
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 10:36:18 -0800 (PST)

I have posted before regarding my friend who needs to move his orchard of 50
- 8 year
old apple trees on seedling rootstock.
He has found a couple of local contractors who have commercial 'tree spades'
on their
loaders to pop out the trees with a large cone of dirt and roots. The problem
is in
moving them 35 miles - normally it seems the spade keeps the tree in its
diggers and
drives to the new site. This would make it prohibitively expensive. He needs
a way to
wrap and load many trees onto a flat bed which can then be driven to the new
site, and a
good way to unload them again into their respective holes.
Does any one have experience with this? Any thoughts much appreciated, he
will need to
have all this arranged in a month. Del N. MN Z3

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com zone 3 N. MN