nafex - Re: [NAFEX] It doesn't take a genus to see that there must be some relationship...

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] It doesn't take a genus to see that there must be some relationship...
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 05:10:41 -0800 (PST)

I am still a little puzzled by this. The genetic
material does not combine, but the resulting plant
contains the genetics of both material as in two sets
of chromosomes? So does the plant flip-flop in its
characteristic or I guess they call Phenotype. But
there no true combination of the charicteristics of
the plant. (ie. you would not have in a Pyrus and
Mespilus Chimeras with Medlar looking fruit that would
not have to be bletted and tasted pear-like)?

If they did combine as such would these plants be
sterile?

Rob

=====
Southern Fruit Fellowship (SFF)