nafex - [NAFEX] Mulberry ID

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mulberry ID
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:26:09 -0600

Lucky,

> Color of the fruit has no bearing on species - this is a common
misconception; white fruit doesn't necessarily mean it's M.alba,
> red fruit M.rubra, black fruit M.nigra, etc.

Then is a red herring, by any other name, still a red herring...or may it
also be white or black? Help! There is a local mulberry that ripens dark
red, has small size but better flavor than the few others I've tasted
(bland) and seems to be reasonably hardy here in central MN zone 4a. How
can I tell the species so I will know if it is one of the invasive ones? Is
the answer contained in its being hardy?

Fishing Dave