nafex - [NAFEX] Mulberries Invasive?

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mulberries Invasive?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:21:27 -0600

Dave Griffin asked:

I am leary of mulberries because I've heard the are extremely invasive and
I don't want any more weed problems in my good quality oak woods. Does
anyone know about the accuracy of their reputation for being invasive?

I had a Morus alba growing here for 6 - 7 years. No, it was not
invasive, actually quite behaved. Very slow grower. In its final year of
life it bore a few fruits and died the following Winter. That was a mystery
because it was a mild winter and it had survived alot colder.

Jim Fruth