nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Loquat Tree Damage

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: <griffingardens@earthlink.net>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Loquat Tree Damage
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 08:01:17 -0600

Jim and Dave,

My old Macintosh had a big hollow that held water. I filled it with that
insulating urethane foam stuff. I removed most of the punky wood first and
sprayed the cavity with a concentrated Kocide (copper) solution. The tree
is starting to heal over the opening. Painting didn't work. Since the foam
keeps expanding for quite a while after application you've got to slice off
the excess. Paint didn't form a nice topcoat so you see some foam through
it. I suppose that I could've figured out a better coating, but it wasn't
worth the trouble at the time.

The only down side I could see before I tried the foam was potentially
faster rotting of the heartwood--hence the copper. In hindsight I can't
imagine that the tree would have been better off filled with water.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI -20ish is the low here thus far this winter, but
Hamemelis vernalis was peeking out when we reached 50 this past weekend.