nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hybrid vs OP vigor - OT tangent

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@containerseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hybrid vs OP vigor - OT tangent
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 08:24:57 -0500

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 07:54:46 -0500, you wrote:

>I second that. Both Kieran/Donna and Philip's posts, fascinating. And I
>don't have Deppe's book, but have heard it very highly recommended by
>heirloom veggie enthusiasts (or fanatics) whom I respect very much.

It's a great book.

I'm afraid of guilty of being one of the heirloom veggie
enthusiasts, although I think 'vegetable' is defining it too
narrowly. There are certainly heirloom fruits, herbs, and
flowers too.

Aunt Molly's Ground Cherry is a good example of an heirloom
fruit. It was 'recorded as early as 1837 in Pennsylvania'.
Cossack Pineapple Ground Cherry was grown in England in the
1700s (in greenhouses).

There are lots of very old tree fruits as well: Roxbury
Russet being a good example, and one of my favorite apples.

The greatest thing about the old varieties is that you get
to grow and enjoy the actual fruit (veggie, whatever) plus
you can have fun finding out its history: and you feel you
are connected to history.

On the other hand, I think it would be fun to experiment
with your own new varieties as well. Or to dehybridize a
modern hybrid.

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and
edible flower seeds for successful container growing.