nafex - [NAFEX] Blueberries

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blueberries
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:32:24 -0600

I planted Chandler and Northblue in my new yard last spring. The spot I chose got too much shade by the middle of June (neighbor's trees to south grew a heavy canopy), so I moved the plants in early September to my fenced veggie garden that gets sunlight all day. Chandler grew OK in the shady spot and actually put on more growth after transplanting. The Northblue languished in the shady bed and is barely hanging on in the new spot.

I ordered a Patriot to plant this spring. I had Patriot in my Wisconsin yard, which is about 25 miles north of my current location. Patriot there grew well, produced berries the second year and had no disease problems. It easily survived a winter that hit -27F a couple of times. This winter has been almost as cold. We've hit -16F a couple of times. Patriot seems to stand up to the cold.

I'm anxious to see how Chandler produces in this cold climate. Has anyone had experience with Chandler?
Doreen Howard