nafex - [NAFEX] winter protection in an unheated garage

  • From: "Bruce Wittchen" <herenorthere@lycos.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] winter protection in an unheated garage
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:27:36 -0500

Pat said, "Surely an unheated garage is as cold as the outdoors? After two
or three days when the high is only around 0 F and the lows at night are in
the minus double-digits numbers, I can't see how an unheated garage would
stay warmer than outdoors."

As one who keeps figs in an unheated, detached garage, I can vouch for it
being a more temperate place during winter. The fig's soil is frozen solid
for at least a couple months, but the garage doesn't get as cold as the
coldest winter nights or as warm as the warmest days. I've never put a
min-max thermometer in there, but I've walked in while it's been extra warm
or extra cold outside and the difference inside is striking.

Bruce Wittchen
Zone 6 - 1/2 mile outside Hartford, CT