nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Finding sweet cherry pits

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <BNikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Finding sweet cherry pits
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:45:38 -0800

Hi Dean, I have tried these sources as well. They always heat the pits to
kill bacteria to about 220F. This means they won't sprout. Also they only
use tart cherry pits. It is rare to get sweet cherry pits, as the vast
majority of the product is sold fresh. But if anyone on this list knows
where I can get 50 lbs or so of viable sweet cherry pits, I'd love to try my
experiment.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta
-36C tonight with -46C windchill

Dean wrote:
> I was told by a worker at the U of Saskatchewan that a lady was selling
> commercially heating bags that you pit in the freezer or microwave using
> cherry pits instead of wheat, or rice. He said that she gets a semi truck
> from B.C. every year to Saskatoon. I guess it is possible.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have any contact with this person.
>
> Dean Kreutzer
> Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
> USDA zone 3
> www.overthehillorchards.ca