nafex - Re: [NAFEX] gooseberries?

  • From: Lon Rombough <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] gooseberries?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:16:51 -0800

Agreed. There are so many excellent varieties, don't limit yourself just because of thorns. Get a range of varieties to extend the season and to savor the various flavors. Hinnomaki Yellow, for me at least, has a flavor that makes me think of apricots. Also, Jahn's Prairie, while large and decently sweet, doesn't bear as heavily as some varieties. Captivator is another thornless type. You WILL find one or two thorns on the bottom of a shoot, but both are essentially thornless - you would have to work to find one where it would stick you
-Lon Rombough