nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Planting near a walnut tree

  • From: "bluestem_farm@juno.com" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Planting near a walnut tree
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 03:17:35 GMT

Tanis,
You caught me maybe exaggerating a little. After you wrote that I wandered
on down to where the walnuts are, and while there are a few blackberries
under them they aren't particularly vigorous. It was a young multiflora rose
that was doing a good job of impersonating a blackberry. The soil in that
field is probably the deepest and best on the property, either because much
of the neighbor's 40 washed onto it or because it was not in cultivation that
long (old aerial photos seem to show solid tree cover there).
Muffy

-- "tanis cuff" > wrote:

Muffy, that does break a "rule", because blackberries are the most
susceptible to the juglone.

In the past I had to do some observing of what will & won't grow under
b.walnuts, for gardening/ landscaping. I noticed 3 interesting things: the
better your soil, the more of the "won't grow" list WILL grow well under
your b.walnuts; because b.walnuts leaf out late and drop leaves early, you
can push the envelope on shade tolerance of what you want to grow under
them; some years ago a study was published about the number of different
plants growing under b.walnuts in the woods (wild)-- higher diversity under
the b.walnuts!