nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Planting near a walnut tree

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Planting near a walnut tree
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:22:33 +0000

Muffy, that does break a "rule", because blackberries are the most susceptible to the juglone.

In the past I had to do some observing of what will & won't grow under b.walnuts, for gardening/ landscaping. I noticed 3 interesting things: the better your soil, the more of the "won't grow" list WILL grow well under your b.walnuts; because b.walnuts leaf out late and drop leaves early, you can push the envelope on shade tolerance of what you want to grow under them; some years ago a study was published about the number of different plants growing under b.walnuts in the woods (wild)-- higher diversity under the b.walnuts!