nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wolf river

  • From: John Bunker <jbunker@gwi.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wolf river
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:37:14 -0500

Jack:

Wolf River is not a real good keeper. I do put some in the root cellar and
they are still fine now. However, they won't be much good in another month
or so. They make a decent -though not great- pie. I believe that their
niche was as a baking apple. Core it, fill the hollow with sugar, cinnamon,
cloves, ginger and nutmeg. Bake and enjoy. They also dry quite well. I
slice them rather thin and put them on screens above the wood stove. In a
few days they are ready to put in jars. The drying process concentrates the
flavors and they are really quite tasty.

Season's Greetings!
John Bunker
*****
John Bunker