nafex - [NAFEX] 60 vs 90 chromosome persimmon.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] 60 vs 90 chromosome persimmon.
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:31:33 EST

In a message dated 12/2/2004 6:10:00 PM US Eastern Standard Time, lonrom@hevanet.com writes:

Is there a simple way to determine if you have 60 or 90 chromosome races?

Outside of planting seeds and doing a count of the newely emerged root tip with a microscope there may not be a sure way.

However, I've looked at many persimmon trees in may parts of the US. I'm not sure there is a dividing line. I believe they are very mixed in the south midwest. My observation is there are two general types and I assume the chromosome numbers is the difference.

The type which I believe is the 60 has smaller generally more glossy leaves, smaller fruit, twigs smaller diamater and the smaller fruits that require a considerable longer period before ripening. If I'm correct on the longer ripening period that is why they don't range naturally in the northern areas, the seeds don't mature before the growing season ends.

Jerry