nafex - deb Re: [NAFEX] thanks and holiday wish list

  • From: David W Hausmann <wizard2468@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: deb Re: [NAFEX] thanks and holiday wish list
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:13:42 -0600

Dear deb,
I planted 3 blackberry seedlings 2 years ago [this was their second
summer] and they are already 2 1/2' high and spreading about 4' deep,
[from a fence I am trying to hide, my Father put up the fence to keep the
neighbor's kid's balls out of our yard {He was mean spirited}, a neighbor
asked me 3 weeks after he committed suicide when I was going to take down
the fence, and they are on the side of the fence that the blackberries
will block their view of it], and they will probably take over that whole
half of the yard if I let them next summer. VERY thorny. And of course,
can cut down whatever areas you do not want it in. The Osage orange
would grow taller, I think [very occasionally hahaha think, that is],
blackberries only get 5' tall or so, high enough to cover a fence, but I
planted an Osage orange at the same time as the blackberries, accidently
cut it in half with the weed whip [from 6" to 3" in one second! hahaha]
but that "tree" is still only maybe eight inches tall after 2 years. So
time frame is important as well. That would be my recommendation. [Doh!
Obviously, or I wouldn't have written this e-mail! hahahaha]
Have a Good One! Love, Peace and Perception

Wizard
Saint Louis, Missouri

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 03:24:25 -0800 (PST) Deb Schneider <debs@yahoo.com>
writes:

> Thanks to all who've responded to my questions about becoming a
> fruit explorer and indoor citrus! I am getting so inspired :)
>
> My wish list this holiday season is really short...I've asked
> everyone who's asked for a gift certificate to Raintree Nursery!
> Besides my new interest in indoor citrus and adding to my little
> orchard, we want to plant a hedge along one property line (where a
> neighbor plopped an ugly trailer...right on the line). We want to
> experiment with hedging that can be used to contain livestock,
> provide treats for us and for wildlife. We are looking at
> interspersing fruit, nuts, and thorns. Probably filbert, maybe some
> brambles, elderberry, juneberry, osage orange. (Don't worry, the
> livestock will not have access to the hedge...it will just be a
> visual barrier for them.) I've got a couple of books on hedging (it
> was a common practice for farmers to divide pastures this way in
> Britain). Anyone have suggestions for edibles that make thick,
> tough hedges?
>
> Also, what's on your holiday fruit wish list this year?
>
> deb

Be Cooool!
Wizard2468
Free e-mail,
Ain't it great!
www.MS-O.com

  • deb Re: [NAFEX] thanks and holiday wish list, David W Hausmann, 12/02/2004